Monday, November 03, 2008

My Election Selections

While most of the attention has been placed on the presidential race, there are many other races tomorrow of great importance. In fact, one could argue that these local races are of greater impact on our daily lives than the presidency ever will be, yet we often know so little about them. So here are my choices for all the races on my ballot tomorrow.

President: McCain/Palin (R) v Obama/Biden (D)
My Selection: McCain/Palin
Reason: Better on national security, unapologetically pro-life, emphasis on families with special needs, less government wastefulness, check on the large majority that Democrats will have in Congress. If Obama is President and Democrats have 60 Senators, then watch out, we will lurch to the left quickly, government will expand, the deficit will rise.

US Senate: John Cornyn(R) v Rick Noriega(D)
My Selection: John Cornyn
Reason: He just finished his first term and has provided a reasoned, solid approach to being a Senator. He will help check the large majority of Democrats in the Senate as well.

US House District 6: Joe Barton (R) v Ludwig Otto (D)
My Selection: Ludwig Otto
Reason: This is a protest vote against Barton, who has been in Congress for a long time now. Barton will win by a huge margin, but I feel the need to vote against him at least one more time for how he played politics with an autism bill he held hostage in his committee a few years ago. Otto is a TCC professor and a Christian. From what I read, he seems like a nice guy too. Again, Barton will win probably 60% of the vote, but he won't get a vote from me this election.

Texas Senate, District 10: Kim Brimer (R) v Wendy Davis (D)
My Selection: undecided, leaning Wendy Davis
Reason: Brimer has had some ethical issues over the last few years as state senator. I have also been turned off by his petty attacks on Davis and his silly lawsuit claiming she shouldn’t be able to run. When he should have focused on what he would do for Texas, he was instead claiming in a technicality that Davis should be removed from the ballot. So more than likely, I'll vote for Davis tomorrow, a former FW City Council member.

Texas House District 94: Diane Patrick (R) v Geoffrey Adams (L)
My Selection: Diane Patrick
Reason: She has wide bipartisan support, she has made education a major priority and has done a good job in her first term in working to improve education funding in Texas. She has done such a good job that no Democrat is even running against her.

All the Court Elections
My Selection: I'll be voting all Republican on these Court races. However, I think it is a bad idea that we elect judges in Texas. I understand that it helps hold them accountable, but I can't help but wonder how the need to run for re-election could prejudice a judicial decision. I wish we allowed the Governor to appoint judges and then the citizens could recall a judge if we so wished. At least, these should be nonpartisan elections.

Railroad Commissioner: Michael Williams (R) v Mark Thompson (D)
My Selection: Michael Williams
Reason: He has provided solid leadership for the Commission, which regulates oil and gas industry in Texas. He is a future leader of the party in Texas and someone to look at in 2010 as Governor if Kay Bailey doesn't run.

State Board of Education, District 11: Patricia Hardy (R) v Bruce Beckman (L)
My Selection: Pat Hardy
Reason: She is a rational conservative and a much needed voice on the board. What I mean by that is she is not in favor of inserting creationism into the school curriculum (which would be unconstitutional and cost the state tons of money in court), but rather allowing science classes teach science. She also opposed a takeover of the reading lists by the ultra-conservative members, which would have mandated to teachers what books they could or couldn't use in the classroom. I'm never in favor of censoring books and also think each teacher should have that choice for themselves, since they know their students.

State Board of Education, District 13: Mavis Knight (D) v Cindy Werner (R)
My selection: Mavis Knight
Reason: Same reason as above for Pat Hardy. She will keep the science curriculum in tact while also allowing more freedom for local educators to decide what is best for their classrooms rather than mandates from Austin. The board is evenly divided right now between ultra-conservatives and moderates. Knight helps maintain that healthy division. If Werner were to win, it would tip in favor of the ultra-conservatives.

State Board of Education, District 14: Gail Lowe (R) v Edra Bogle (D)
My Selection: Gail Lowe
Reason: In the mold of Pat Hardy, she is conservative, but not to the point where she desires to change the science curriculum, etc.

Arlington Bonds: Vote Yes! We need these bonds to improve our city, so don't forget to vote "Yes" on these bonds.

There they are. Vote - don’t let the crowds keep you away.

No comments: