Monday, November 10, 2008

Thanks for the Ice Cream and Memories

The demolition of a major landmark will occur sometime soon in Arlington. It probably won't make the news, it may even go unnoticed by many, but I am speaking of the Braum's location on Park Row, which moved today to a new location up the street. The new location looks nice - it's new, it's bigger, and it's bound to be cleaner on the inside. The old Braum's building was always dirty, the bathrooms were always nasty, the kitchen area always made me cringe, and the tables were always sticky. (I know, every Braum's is nasty - but this one was especially so.) So why am I a bit sad to see it go? For the last 32 years, that location has held many celebratory memories for me. As a little kid, I would love to swing on the bar as we waited to order our ice cream ("Rocky Road on a sugar cone, please"). I couldn’t possibly count the number of times the Hawkes grandkids celebrated at Braum's following a little league game or an orchestra concert. I think it was one of Pappaw's favorites. Well, and getting the family together was one of his favorites too, so combine family and ice cream and you create a wonderful place. And as large a family as we had, we would often take up an entire section in the back. We would swivel on the chairs, recount stories, and have fun together as family. It didn't matter whether it was dirty, smoky, or fly filled, we always enjoyed going to Braum's. Had I realized soon enough that yesterday was going to be the last day that location was open, I would have made one more visit. Oh well, the memories will have to suffice, I guess.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went for one last lunch after church yesterday. I too have many childhood memories that took place there. I also loved taking Grant and Claire there for a weekly visit not too long ago.

I liked going in there and knowing that I was going to be the only patron under the age of 70. The new place will probably be full of young punks with no sense of respect for their ice cream heritage.

Todd

Jack said...

Amen, Todd

pianos said...

On to new memories! Took the kids by for a tuxedo sundae after school. It was packed! MOM

Emily K said...

Yes. I used to always ask Pappaw if we could go get a "cream cone". He always ordered cherries and cream. I always ordered German chocolate. It's not nearly as special taking the kids through the drive-thru of the new Braums. I wonder if we'll ever even see the inside?

Unknown said...

Christian Louboutin uk, Christian Louboutin shoes, nfl hoodies jerseys,nhl hoodies jerseys,nba hoodies jerseys, 2015 hot jerseys, Christian Louboutin Outlet