Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Time to Celebrate Democracy

In the coming days I’ll try to look back and examine the 2008 Presidential Election, but for tonight, I celebrate our democracy. What an amazing country that we freely went to the polls, freely voted, the votes were counted, and we elected a new president. While I didn’t vote for Barack Obama, I still celebrate his victory, because it shows the beauty of our Constitution and the power we place in the people. No tanks, no military coup, no violence, but a peaceful vote.

So tonight, while I would have loved to see McCain/Palin win, I vow to pray for Obama, for his strength and wisdom as he leads this nation; for his family, particularly his girls, as they enter the full glare of the public spotlight. May he lead the country well, and may we all always be thankful to live in a great nation, where tonight, even though 49 percent of the people are disappointed, we can all celebrate being Americans.

(As I finished this post, McCain was conceding the election in the most graceful concession speech I have ever heard. He is a true American hero.)