Friday, June 20, 2008

Heroism and Faith of John McCain

"I was finding that prayer helped. It wasn't a question of asking for superhuman strength or for God to strike the North Vietnamese dead. It was asking for moral and physical courage, for guidance and wisdom to do the right thing. I asked for comfort when I was in pain, and sometimes I received relief. I was sustained in many times of trial." - John McCain on his experience as a POW in Vietnam. After reading his first-person account of his time as a POW, I have even more respect and admiration for what he went through serving our country. I wonder how I would have responded in similar circumstances. McCain doesn't flaunt his faith in the public square, which is why I highlighted the above quote from the account. I think it reveals a little as to who God is to him.

1 comment:

Emily K said...

What an inciteful quote. It's a great reminder that sometimes the best prayer we can pray when we're at a loss of words is "God, draw me nearer to You through this circumstance." That's clearly what happened here with McCain.