Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Juneteenth

"I do order and declare that all persons held as slaves within said designated States, and parts of States, are, and henceforward shall be free." -Emancipation Proclamation

I know there are many days of observance that receive much more attention, but my favorite Texas holiday is Juneteenth. In September of 1862, Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation which went into effect January 1, 1863. In our fast paced information age, I know it is hard to fathom, but the news of the Emancipation Proclamation did not reach Texas until June 19, 1865 - almost 2 ½ years later. General Granger landed in Galveston and shared the news that the "slaves are free." With the victory in the Civil War and the leadership of Lincoln, along with the religious voices of the day, America 's Original Sin, this injustice embedded into our Constitution, began to be overcome. Granted, the newly found freedom wasn't fully protected by law for another 100 years, and obviously, there is still racism and prejudice in our country and state today; however, today, June 19th, is a day to celebrate the news that all are free. I thank God for the freedom I have in Christ and for the freedom I have here in this country, and I pray for the courage to speak up against injustice around me. Happy Juneteenth!

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

1 comment:

Ben said...

Juneteenth is every day in June on the hardline