Friday, December 05, 2008

Zuzu's Petals

What makes a life significant? Does one have to be famous, rich, lucky? Does one have to rub shoulders with world leaders, Hollywood stars, corporate big shots? What does a significant life look like? Zuzu's petals.

"It's a Wonderful Life" is one of my all-time favorite movies. As I thought about why, I think of Zuzu's petals. In one of my favorite moments, George Bailey exclaims, "My mouth's bleeding Bert! My mouth's bleeding! Zuzu's petals…Zuzu… There they are! Bert what do you know about that! Merry Christmas!"

George Bailey had dreams, plans, ambitions, but due to other circumstances, he remained in Bedford Falls. He questioned his significance. However, as everyone who has seen the movie knows, through his journey with Clarence, he realized just how significant his life, and life in general, is. From his little Zuzu, to his brother, to his former boss, to the people of Bedford Falls, his life had changed the world. His significance was found in his integrity. He showed compassion, gentleness, and righteous anger. He faced down injustice, confronting the most "successful" man in Bedford Falls: "You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider."

George Bailey has to be one of the most heroic figures in movie history. And the great thing is, anyone can be a George Bailey. Seemingly ordinary lives, filled with love, frustrations, hope, struggles, joy, and disappointments. Just how significant am I?

Facebook is a crazy thing. I don't do the flair thing or throw snowballs or participate in movie compatibilities, but I am amazed how this network brings together so many people from my present and past - people unheard from since high school or college, who participated in a chapter in my life, but since had been out of the story. Thinking about George Bailey's experience, I wonder, How did I impact these lives? How have these lives impacted me? Would there be a huge hole, as Clarence says, if I were removed from their past? Most importantly, what significance am I in other lives today? Am I taking care of Zuzu's petals, encouraging others to pursue their dreams, protecting others, speaking out against injustice, maintaining my personal integrity? God has given me a wonderful life. I want to live significantly for Him.

No comments: