Saturday, December 20, 2008

I Love Christmas Music

I love Christmas music. As soon as 103.7 FM went all Christmas, I have basically only listened to that station (It's the only time of year you hear Bono, Frank Sinatra, Beach Boys, Eliot Yamin, and the Jackson 5 back to back to back). So I began thinking what my favorite Christmas songs are. I made a few lists since the religious Christmas music appeals to me differently than the secular. I also came up with my least favorites. So here they are:

Favorite Religious Christmas Music:
1. Little Drummer Boy - I love the message of the song, and my favorite version of this song is by Jars of Clay. The funniest version is Johnny Cash.
2. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel - This should always be the very first Christmas song allowed to be played, sung, or heard each Christmas.
3. O Come All Ye Faithful
4. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
5. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

Favorite Secular Christmas Music:
1. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole's version is the best
2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - perhaps the darkest Christmas song ever, kind of depressing, but one of my favorites.
3. Baby, It's Cold Outside - not sure why this is a Christmas Song, but I include it anyway.
4. Christmas Waltz - one of my favorites this year - the Frank Sinatra version. I have probably hummed this song more than any other this Christmas.
5. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - U2's version - no list is complete without Bono.

Favorite to Sing with the Kids
1. Frosty
2. Rudolph
3. Santa Claus is Coming to Town
4. Jingle Bells
5. Go Tell It On the Mountain

Favorite New Christmas Song this Year: Faith Hill, "A Baby Changes Everything"

Favorite Christmas Album: Handel's Messiah (Actually an Easter piece but gets thrown into Christmas) & Andrew Peterson's "Behold the Lamb of God"

Least Favorite:
1. Feliz Navidad - please shoot me.
2. Jessica Simpson's version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" - one of the worst ever
3. Christmas Shoes - shoot me again.
4. Deck the Halls
5. Chipmunks

Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

pianos said...

We agree on Hark the Herald Angels Sing as a fav. No Little Drummer Boy! I guess it's been done so many ways that I'm tired of it. Besides, Angela wants it sung at her wedding. Also 'no' to O Come Emmanuel. Too drab for me. Besides, He's already come, hasn't He? Joy to the World, the Lord z'IS' Come. Ave Maria, O Holy Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem, The First Noel. Those are my favorites. White Christmas is my favorite secular song. A definite no to Feliz, I agree. The others I wasn't familiar with. I'm not crazy about I Heard the Bells either. What about Twas the Night Before Christmas? Lots of memories with that one! Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! MOM

Charlie Goodyear said...

O Holy Night has to be a fav. Absolutely agree on Feliz. Jingle Bell Rock should be on the secular list.

Emily K said...

After sitting next to Grant at the Candlelight service, my favorite song I heard this Advent has to be Silent Night, sung by Grant and accompanied by the brass. I will forever seal that memory in my mind. You have a WONDERFUL son!

Ben said...

Why do you all hate our friends to the south so much?

Jack - no You Gotta Get Up (Christmas Song) by Rich Mullins?

on my list of favorite secular christmas songs is Merry Christmas From the Family by Robert Earl Keen

O Holy Night is one of the best. And I like Michael W Smith's Gloria just because i hear it every christmas.