Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dinosaurs

Why did God create dinosaurs? I've been pondering this question lately as our house has become obsessed with the giant lizards (which may or may not be a good description I've learned - perhaps they are closer to being giant pre-birds). Dinosaurs don't fit neatly into the story of creation for a lot of people. For those who claim the earth is only 6,000 years old, they really have a difficult time with dinosaurs, especially since the last dinosaur was around close to 70 million years ago. The young earth crowd believes the earth was created in six 24-hour time periods. This literal read completely disregards science. My question to the "young earthers" would be how exactly day one through three worked since the Sun, which we track our rotation by, wasn't created until day four? But anyway…

I believe the Bible. I believe our earth is billions of years old. And I believe God created it all. How did God create? I don't know, and it doesn't much matter. Whether God created each individual species independently of others or whether He used evolution, the fact still remains that God created. Should we hold Moses accountable for not scientifically relating to the Israelites all about DNA, the universe, cell development, the periodic table, etc.? Should we be dismayed that the Bible doesn't tell us whether or not to consider Pluto(id) a planet? Of course not. It doesn't take away from the authority of Scripture. It makes us explore and question and grow our minds - these minds that God created in us.

As Grant teaches me more and more about dinosaurs, I am even more amazed at God's creativity, humor, and majesty. From the Protocerotops to the Archaeopteryx to Diplodocus to the Pachycephalasaurus, what unique, awesome creatures God made. And how cool that God has given us minds to be able to reconstruct the dino world. As I ponder why God created dinosaurs, I'm reminded of why he created me. And I'm thankful. And I'm thankful I wasn't around when the dinosaurs were - I'm not sure I would be able to outrun a Spinosaurus.

No comments: