Monday, July 07, 2008

Fatherhood Success

I oftentimes wonder how effective a father I am to my children. Am I raising them up in the way they should go? Are they learning how to act, how to treat others, etc? Am I a godly example for them? I don't know the answers to these questions, and I guess I won't until much later in life, long after I can do anything to correct my mistakes. But I am encouraged by one influence I have made with Grant - he loves baseball!

On Saturday afternoons, FOX has its MLB game of the week. Since we don't have cable, and since only 40 Ranger games are on regular TV, and most of those are at night, Saturday afternoon has become a good time for us to watch baseball. But let me back up a second. We are able from time to time to go to a Ranger game. Last year, whenever Grant and I would go, he would be more excited about the jumbo-tron and gimmicks than the game itself. He loved how the "H" in "Southwest" would light up whenever anyone got a hit, and of course, he loved the occasional fireworks after a homerun. But as far as the game itself, he really didn't care all that much. Toward the end of last season, he began to catch on a little more, perhaps from playing T-ball and watching more games with me. But this summer, baseball has captured Grant's attention. Like I said, we watch the FOX game of the week. Usually, this involves the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs. So we choose a team to root for and go from there. Grant has quickly learned the rules: always cheer for the Rangers, always cheer against the Yankees. Last week, the Red Sox were playing the Yankees. He kept me up to date on the game. As we were watching, he would say "Oh man! The Yankees got a hit. I wish they would have gotten out!" and "Yes, he struck him out!" We discussed why Giambi is a cheater and why we don't like the Yankees. Anyway, the last two weeks, the Yankees have won, much to our displeasure. In fact, the week before we also watched the Cubs play the White Sox. We pulled for the Cubs and they lost as well. We are not having much luck, unless, as Grant reminded me, we go to the Ranger game - the Rangers have won both times we have gone this year. So he thinks we should go again.

Over the weekend, we watched Wimbledon as well (uncle Ben would be happy). I haven't kept up with tennis since Sampras and Agassi, so we decided to pull for Federer. He lost, but it was still fun to see Grant get excited about tennis as well. (Tennis by the way is much more difficult to explain scoring wise to a 5 year old.) But when the epic match was over, we flipped over to the Ranger game, which was actually on regular TV. It was in the 8th inning. Grant said, "I wish it was just the 2nd so we could watch the whole game." I am smiling. I don’t know how good a job I am doing as a father, but I am so happy that Grant loves baseball. And I am even happier that he loves to watch it with me.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Jack,
You are an amazing father! How blessed are your kids that they have such a godly, loving example to follow. It's a shame that not everyone gets to have a father like you! Your kids will know God as a loving father because that's what they see in their earthly father!

Ben said...

why root against the yankees when the red sox have replaced them as the evil empire?

i root against the yankees unless they play the red sox. i always root against the red sox.

of course, i suppose grant's gfather is a red sox fan so there ya go.

one of these sunday afternoons we should all go out and play ball again