Tuesday, May 20, 2008

________ for VP

Barring a Clintonian-esque comeback by Hillary Clinton, it appears the impossible has happened - Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee. So now, the question becomes, who will McCain and Obama choose as their VPs? One could debate just how much a VP helps/hurts a candidate. (Quayle certainly cost Bush I votes, but has Cheyney for Bush II? Bentsen couldn't deliver Texas for Dukakis.) Perhaps VP John Nance Garner was right when he said the Vice Presidency wasn't worth "a bucket of warm spit." Nonetheless, a short run down of potential choices:

First McCain. His age, 71, is definitely a factor. His political appeal is that of a Maverick, which helps him among independents. However, some hard-core conservatives are balking at voting for him. Does he choose a VP that shares his conservative-independent nature, or does he choose a candidate whom the Religious Right will support, but in the process, cause him to possibly lose some independents? Here's a short list:

1. Colin Powell - I don't think that Powell wants to run or would run, but if McCain convinced him to run, I believe Powell would tip the election clearly to McCain, even if the conservatives were ticked with a McCain/Powell ticket. I give this about a 1% chance of happening though, which by the way, would be the same percentage I would give Powell of being Obama's running mate.

2. Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina - I don't know much about him except that he would be favored by conservatives. However, South Carolina is a state that McCain will win no matter what, so Sanford would not be much help regionally. But if he unites conservatives behind McCain without alienating moderates, he would be a safe, albeit boring, choice.

3. Kay Bailey Hutchison - Intriguing. Let's say that Clinton supporters, namely women, are really upset that Obama won. Would Hutchison help McCain win the female-leaning Clinton vote? Would Hutchison be perceived as presidential? This is a must for any McCain pick due to his age. Hutchison has planned to run for Governor, which won't happen until 2010.

4. Mike Huckabee - McCain needs to thank Huckabee for helping him win the nomination, but I don't see how choosing Huckabee would help McCain at all. Huckabee may have "shot" himself in the foot last week with his NRA comment about Obama anyway. I like Huckabee. But I don't view him as presidential. He needs to go the road of Stephanopoulos and become a political commentator.

5. Mitt Romney - Please no. I cannot figure out how Romney has become Mr. Conservative with so many people in the Republican Party. A year ago, he was pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, liberal ex-governor from Massachusetts who ran left of Kennedy for the Senate in the '90s. Now he's Mr. Conservative? I don't get it.

6. Condoleezza Rice - She would be the most qualified, however, serving eight years in the Bush administration would make her a liability to the McCain campaign, as they try to counter the "Bush-third-term" label.

So there's the Republican short-list. In my view, not much of one. The Republican Party is sorely lacking in leadership right now. One name not on this list is Bobby Jindal, the Louisiana Governor. He's only 36, but apparently has been dubbed as the next Reagan. However, he probably isn't ready for national politics quite yet. Any of these names get you excited?

6 comments:

Charlie Goodyear said...

How about Florida governor Charlie Crist? He's conservative, has experience in government, and would help deliver a key state.

Jack said...

I like "Chain Gang Charlie," as he was called when we lived in Florida and he was attorney general, I believe. But many hard-core conservatives don't like him for issues like immigration - the same stuff they oppose McCain on. I think Florida will easily go to McCain with or without Crist, which is why I didn't include him. But I do like him.

D said...

Wouldn't someone named Crist help with religious conservatives?

(that's a joke...)

Oh...and as a Democrat I would tell you I think Powell would definitely give the election to McCain.

Emily K said...

What do you think about the Democratic ticket? Who are the VP candidates there?

pianos said...

I think you underestimate Huckaby. His likeability rating is sky high! He's a total supporter of McCain, they get along well together and he's a moral conservative, young, great smile, sharp wit.

pianos said...

I guess I need to learn to spell his name if I'm for him!

Huckabee!!!