Thursday, July 12, 2007

My Top 10 or 11 Movies

I guess it means I'm getting old, or that I have young kids and we rarely go to the movies, but there are no movies in the theaters that I want to see right now, except perhaps Transformers, but even that looks a little disappointing. Where have all the good movies gone? Thinking about the lack of Hollywood quality this summer, I have decided to list my top 10 movies of all time(actually 11):

11. Hoosiers. (Classic, dramatic, "I'll make it," who can't love this movie?)
10. Scent of a Woman (Great acting, memorable speeches, gripping moments)
9. Babe: The Pig Movie (probably the most random movie on my list, but I love it. Great story - "That'll do pig," and an anorexic duck.)
8. Amistad. ("Give us us free!!")
7. Truman Show (Definitely Jim Carrey's finest, intriguing story, awesome symbolism with Truman and Christof, etc.)
6. It's A Wonderful Life (Who doesn't wonder how the world would be different if you were never born?)
5. Life is Beautiful (Another inspiring movie about love for family amidst hatred in the world.)
4. Last of the Mohicans ("I will find you!" Papa Mohican gets mad when son is killed and kicks some tail, great storyline, action, soundtrack, etc.)
3. The Untouchables ("What are you prepared to do?" "So much violence." Sean Connery pulling himself across the floor, the classic scene in the train station, finest career performances from Kevin Costner, De Niro, and Andy Garcia, and a great musical score.)
2. Glory (Was this Denzel Washington's breakthrough role? One of the most stirring movies ever made. Another great musical score, a fantastic list of actors, this movie is a very close to my #1 movie.)
1. The Natural ("You sure look different in street clothes." "Hey mister, what's your name?" "You're right Memo, we have met before." "Batting practice tomorrow, be there." "Hobbs, get back here and turn off that inferno light!" "Losing is a disease..." "I'll start pitching when you start hitting." "His father lives in New York." "Ain't she a peach." "Can we walk a bit?" "That day in Chicago, why did you stand up?" "You know, I believe we live two lives." "I look swell in black, don't you think I look swell in black?" "Don't ever look back Max, ever." "Did you ever play ball Max?" "Suit up." "Pick me out a winner Bobby." "OK." Words cannot express my love for this movie. Thank goodness they didn't make it like the book, which was one of the worst books I have ever read. This movie is greatness from the opening train whistle to the closing game of catch with his son. Makes me want to watch it right now.

So there it is, my top 11. Of course, if I had twelve, perhaps "Field of Dreams," "Eight Men Out," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," or "Empire Strikes Back" may have made it, so props to those movies as well.

3 comments:

pianos said...

Actually, the first movie FAR outranks the others. No special order after the first two.

Godfather
Godfather 2
Body Heat
The Fugitive
Gone WIth the Wind
STeel Magnolias
Driving Miss Daisy
A Few Good Men
The Thin Man series

Charlie Goodyear said...

A Top 10 movie list with no John Wayne? Heresy! Let's see if I can come up with 10 in no particular order.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Saving Private Ryan
Shenandoah
The Natural
Sound of Music
The Fugitive
Die Hard (and the sequels)
Big Jake
A Few Good Men
Guns of Navarone
Braveheart

Charlie Goodyear said...

I've got to add The Great Escape in there somewhere. If I knock out Big Jake, I lose John Wayne saying "Dog" whenver he called to his dog to do something like save the kid or attack the bad guys. And, I'm missing Old Yeller and Davy Crockett. I remember getting to stay home from church one Sunday night becasue I was sick (running fever) and was able to watch Davy Crockett on TV. I can't drop guns of Navarone and miss the end when the ships in the channel start balsting their air horns in recognition that the guns got blasted and they weren't going to die trying to get through. I think we need a Top Twenty.