Monday, September 22, 2008

The Gravel Road

Sis, my great aunt, passed away early Sunday morning at the age of 90. Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." Sis is a testimony to that verse. She lived a full life, influenced so many people, and remained committed to Christ throughout her life. She taught me how to play the piano. Although I was no Mozart, I took lessons from the age of five until I was twelve. I remember my mom driving me to her house for a lesson. (Grant, we drove down Arkansas back when Arkansas was just a one-lane road on each side.) I remember eating goldfish after each lesson - she always treated us to some in her pantry. And I still remember how to play a couple of hymns, including "Victory in Jesus." But Sis was also a godly role model for us all, and has been the matriarch of the family these past few years, as well as a pillar in the church, where she served as the first female deacon. I have been amazed at the number of people who have stopped me this week to tell me what she meant to them - role model, teacher, encourager, friend. And she did it all so humbly.

I remember Pappaw telling me a story about them as kids. Back in the day, they mostly traveled over bumpy, dirt roads. Jostling back and forth in the back seat, Pappaw, Sis, and Uncle Charles couldn't wait to get to the gravel roads, which were a bit smoother. When Sis, as a little girl, would become distressed at all bumps, Pappaw, her older brother, would say to her, "Don't worry Sitter, we'll be on the gravel road soon." This became one of their encouraging mottos throughout life, and one that still comforts me. No matter what they faced in life, they had faith that soon there would be a gravel road - they could make it - and they encouraged others to do the same.

So I can only imagine on Sunday morning, as Sis slipped on to heaven, that she was greeted by her family on the ultimate of gravel roads - those "streets of gold beyond the crystal sea."

3 comments:

Ben said...

thanks for that story. somehow i had never heard that before. sis was truly an amazing woman. we are so lucky to have grown up in a family whose leaders were such wonderful christian examples

Holly said...

Jack, that was such a beautiful tribute to Ellen! What an incredible woman she was! I count it a blessing to have known Ellen. She was truly a wonderful lady, and she will be missed. Our prayers are for you all as you go through this time of loss. I know that Sunday sure was a great day n Heaven!!! My Mom said she imagined her Daddy and Mama sitting and visiting with Ellen...so sweet.

pianos said...

Thank you, Jack. Those stories become more precious as we get older. That's one to pass on. MOM