Monday, March 10, 2008

McCain and Autism



“It’s indisputable that autism is on the rise among children,” Senator John McCain said while campaigning recently (March 4, 2008) in Texas. “The question is, What’s causing it? And we go back and forth, and there’s strong evidence that indicates that it’s got to do with a preservative in vaccines.” (To read this article, click here.)

A couple of weeks ago, I contacted the McCain campaign, asking if the campaign would address the issue of autism, not realizing that McCain has actually been concerned about the issue for sometime(The embedded video was recorded a year ago). Still, I am very impressed that he has addressed the issue on the campaign trail this year(I realize that countless people have likely contacted the Senator about this issue, so I am not taking credit for him addressing it obviously). While he will undoubtedly take a lot of heat from drug companies and vaccine producers over his above quote, I am proud to support a candidate who is not afraid to seek answers, even if it means ruffling a few feathers along the way. Nothing can be ruled out as to why autism is on the rise. While I am not saying that vaccines are the cause, I don't think they can be ruled out either. I do think more studies need to be done to see whether, in some cases, they are. I am thankful that McCain apparently feels the same way. Just another reason to support John McCain.

No comments: