Monday, February 25, 2008

And the Oscar Goes To... ZZZZZZ

OK, so I have three kids and we don't go to the movies much. But for the last two years, I had seen and accurately predicted the Best Picture Winner (Crash 2005 and The Departed 2006). This year, I had only seen Juno. So I was hoping it would win as we sat down to watch the Oscars.

As for the Oscar presentation… pretty, pretty, pretty dull. The White Witch Ice Queen won Best Supporting Actress; an actress I had never heard of from a movie I had never heard of won Best Actress. Seriously, did anybody see that movie? La Vie en Rose has grossed a whopping $10 million. So apparently, only the voting members of the academy have seen it. Pretty much goes for all the nominated films. Aside from Juno ($130 million), the other Best Picture Nominees have pathetically limped through the Box Office: No Country ($64 million), Michael Clayton ($49 million), Atonement ($49 million), and There Will Be Blood ($35 million). So the competition for most of the awards involved movies no one had seen, Jon Stewart, who is normally very funny, was not so much(apparently the writers haven't quite gotten back on their game yet, or they are ticked that Stewart started his show back without them), and the acceptance speeches were so-so, nothing memorable. The best moment goes to the winners for Best Original Song from the movie Once, which was basically just a movie made to publicize their soundtrack, but I was glad they won - I had actually seen the movie(well, kind of, I remember struggling to keep my eyes open at the end of the movie.) Anyway, maybe I'll see more of the nominees next year.

Here's to better movies in 2008.

3 comments:

Ben said...

No Country opened in select theaters. I'm not sure it was ever in wide-release because it's not a blockbuster type movie. Same with There Will Be Blood. It was nowhere near the arlington area for the longest time. I had to go to grand prairie to see No Country. It was greatness. Most intense movie i've ever seen. Questionable ending but every minute prior to that, i was on the edge of my seat. very well done. I was glad it won best picture. it was better than the last couple of best picture winners.

And There Will Be Blood has given us the greatest quote in a movie preview of all-time . . "I've Abandoned my child! I've Abandoned my CHILD! I've ABANDONED MY BOYYYYYY!"

Jack said...

still a boring academy awards show

Ben said...

not debating it was a boring awards show, just debating that it was due to bad movies. crash was highly overrated. the departed was good but not great. best picture rarely wins. i mean, unforgiven over a few good men in '92? shakespeare in love over saving private ryan? titanic and the english patient over whatever other nominee was out there?

million dollar baby was overrated too. the boxing movie that should've won in the last 5 years was cinderella man.