Tuesday, October 23, 2007

World Series Time

I love this time of year. Of all the sporting events, the World Series is by far my favorite. This year's match-up should be great as well, with the tradition of the Red Sox v. the Cinderella Rockies. I am pulling for a great series and for a Rockies win. (Now why can't the Rangers ever get here?)

I started thinking about my brilliant baseball career. My career lasted from 1985-1990 with an attempted comeback that fell short in 1992. (Ok, so my career happened before I was 15. I have never been mistaken for a great athlete.) Here are my career highlights:

1985 - Team: Cowboys, Grade: 3rd. This was my first year of baseball where there was no tee or no coach pitch. I batted .000 drawing many walks and HBPs. I think I got more walks than strikeouts, but I am not sure. Needless to say, I could only go up from here. I believe I mostly played outfield or DH - my fielding has always been a liability, even when I batted .000.

1986 - Team: Cowboys, Grade: 4th. My career year. I batted .500, played better in the field, and was part of a winning team. The highlight of my career came in the quarter finals of the playoffs, where I came up in the last inning with 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd, and the fate of our season in my hands as we trailed 2-1. (Incidentally, whenever the season was over, we had to turn in our jerseys and baseball pants. So in the playoffs, we were supposed to always bring a change of clothes in case our team lost, but I had forgotten mine, which made me worry that I would have to go home in my underwear if we lost.) My coach pulled me over and said, "Just like batting practice." The first pitch I lined up the middle for a base hit, two runners scored, game over. My first base coach hoisted me up and we celebrated the victory. It was a great feeling. Every kid dreams of doing this - it was surreal. I remember afterwards going to Denny's where Pappaw bought us all dessert. Definitely the highlight of my sports career. (Yeah, since 4th grade it has all been downhill for me athletically.)

1987 - Team: Eagles, Grade: 5th. Thus began the dark ages. New team, new coach. The coach was the coach of the team I had the winning hit against the year before. I never liked him all that much - my confidence was gone. I was Roy Hobbs dating Memo. I batted .150. Simply a terrible year. Iris never stood up.

1988 - Team: Eagles, Grade: 6th. Again .150. See 1987 for more details.

1989 - Team: Pirates, Grade: 7th. A rebound year for me. I batted .300 and had the most RBI on my team. New coach, same friends. Still playing the outfield and occasionally 2nd base.

1990 - Team: Pirates, Grade: 8th. A repeat performance as I batted .300 again and led the team in RBI, but I wasn't chosen to be the All-Star representative from my team. It's funny what affects a kid, but not being chosen and not ever having the chance to pitch stuck with me for a long time. This was my last official year of playing baseball. I am not sure why I didn't play in 9th grade, but I didn't.

1992 - Attempted Comeback. I tried out for the AHS baseball team my Sophomore year. I didn't make it - my hitting wasn't consistent (actually it was kind of bad) and I wasn't very fast for a 2nd baseman (in fact, I am pretty slow). So thus ended my playing career.

I have good memories from my baseball days - many of my friends were on my team. Good memories for the most part with the game winning hit as the definite acme of my career. I continue to be a big baseball fan. I learned a lot about myself playing baseball. I experienced the joy of winning, the frustration of losing and not hitting, and the fun of being a kid dreaming about being a baseball player. That is why I love the World Series so much - all the drama and emotion in a simple, yet wonderful game.

1 comment:

Charlie Goodyear said...

You should have seen your mother when you got that hit in the playoff game. She was screaming "That's my boy!" and running (actually a slide step) back and forth behind the dugout fence. I was standing in the stands wondering why it was taking Steve so long to get from second base to home. It seemed like it took him forever to get from 2nd to 3rd. I think he must have been watching the hit at first and not running.

I helped some with your teams but never was the main coach. After your experience with the Brady Years (11-12) I was determined to coach Ben's teams as much as possible. I think it made a difference. I had already been coaching his T-ball teams but I decided it was in his best interest if I coached. I was proven correct when I didn't coach his 9-year old year. He didn't play the infield much, didn't pitch, and batted in the back of the order. When they moved him up one game at my request he hit well with a hit in each at bat including a double. But, next game it was back to 8th or 9th in the order. Several parents came to me at the end of the season and asked me to coach next year. We moved to Little League with 4 or 5 other players and tied for first in our league. The team we left won the Optimist City Championship. There were too many good players on the same team and only those that were getting to play a lot were getting any benefit from it.