Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Time Travelling Faster?

It seems like the days are going by way too fast. I can't believe it is already May, I can't believe Tessa is 5 months old, I can't believe it is time for summer, I can't believe Grant and Claire are getting so old. I can't believe we are almost halfway through 2007. Time seems to be travelling faster and faster. As a kid, time would move slowly. Christmas and summer break always seemed so far away. Now, I am sure tomorrow will be Christmas, and I won't know where the year went. I kind of feel like Desmond on Lost sometimes.

It's not just me. The older you get, the faster time travels. I remember the lady we bought our first home from swore everything in the house was new or replaced "last year." Oftentimes, it turned out to be 10 or 15 years, but she honestly thought it was new.

Here's my theory though on why time travels faster when we get older. (Maybe everybody knows this, but sometimes these kind of things fascinate me.) When you are 1, one year is 100 percent of your life. When you are 5 years old, one year is 20 percent of your life. That's a lot. When you are 10, one year is 10 percent. Now that I am 31, one year is 3.2 percent of my life. So every year, the year equates to less of a percentage of my life than the year before, making it seem to go faster.

I guess this is why I still think of the 1990s as just being a couple of years ago. Time in percentage to my life travels much faster than when I was in the 90s looking back at the 1980s. Oh well, that's just my thought for the day. To all of you oldies out there who are reading this, don't take too long, or another year will pass for you.

1 comment:

Charlie Goodyear said...

It was just yesterday when you were flapping your arms and jumping up and down when you were excited or happy. And, it was just yesterday that you said "It's too hebby" when your mom wanted you to carry something into the house. And it was just yesterday 8? years ago when you an Jessica got married. Congratulations.