Thursday, April 20, 2006

Theology and a Three-Year-Old

So how do I explain God to my 3 year old son? A couple of nights ago, we were sitting on the couch for a final few minutes before "bedtime." (We were watching a little American Idol.) I cannot remember exactly what we were talking about, but Grant asked me "Where's God?" I began to explain to him that God is everywhere. He didn't quite grasp that concept. I explained how God is everywhere; He's even in our house. Grant, as if trying to call for God to come out of hiding said loudly, "God is in our house?" I explained more and told him that God is in our hearts, too. Grant asks, "God is in your heart?," and, "God come out of your heart?" Now I'm thinking I have him confused, causing him to think that God is ready to pop out of his body at anytime, but I think he is understanding what I mean. He then asks, "Where's Jesus?" So now, I am trying to figure out how to explain the Trinity to my 3-year-old?!? This whole adventure was one of my favorite conversations I have had with Grant. Jessica and I have been praying that one day, when he gets older and is able to understand, he will put his faith in Christ. Here, at 3 years old, are the beginnings of his upbringing in faith. That night, as I tucked him into bed, he prayed to God, repeating my words, thanking God for his family and telling God that he loved Him. I love my son, and I love God. How amazing and frightening it is as a parent to feel the responsibility for "training up your child in the way he should go." It is neat to see him start to think about God and Jesus, and begin to understand what exactly it means when we sing "Jesus loves me." But I guess we are all still figuring out what "Jesus Loves Me" means. Simple statement, but a profound truth to grasp. "Faith like a child." I am looking forward to seeing how Grant's faith will impact my own.

Last night we had a huge rain storm. Claire slept through it, but Grant woke up about 1am. He said this morning that he covered his ears while God made it rain and thunder. "Why does God make it rain?," he asked. I guess he wanted to water the plants, I tell him. Grant replied, "God make it rain in your heart, too?" Oh man, I can only imagine what is running through his head thinking about that. Does he even know where his heart is? However, Jessica and I thought about how we need the reminder to allow God to "reign" in our hearts. As we live out our faith and show God's love to our children and to others, hopefully one day Grant and Claire will come to accept God's grace as well, allowing God to truly reign in their hearts.

Perhaps tonight Grant will want to discuss predestination...

No comments: